In near and not-so-near surroundings there are many interesting places and important monuments that will certainly catch the attention of every admirer of history and architecture. We've chosen several of the most interesting:
Jihlava: Historical sources from the end of the 12th century mention a Slavic settlement with a church of St. John the Baptist. It became a starting point for the colonization of the region, greatly accelerated by the discovery of silver ore at the end of the 40s of the 13th century. The silver fever brought miners, craftsmen and merchants from all over Europe.
Jihlava Zoo: The Zoo is situated in a picturesque valley of the Jihlávka river. It contains water habitats, woody hills, meadows and rocks, all that in immediate vicinity of the town centre. "The zoo without bars" is home of 200 species of exotic animals, including endangered species. The Zoo specializes in breeding felines, apes and reptiles.
Roštejn: Roštejn is a late Gothic castle situated on a rocky hill at an altitude of 677 m in a romantic woodland near the Doupě village. It was built by Lords of Hradec in the first half of the 14th century. In the 70s of the 16th century Zachariáš of Hradec rebuilt the castle as a hunting-lodge in the Renaissance style with an extensive game preserve around it.
Telč: According to a local legend the founding of Telč is related to the victory of Moravian Duke Otta II over Czech Duke Břetislav in 1099. The victor reputedly established a chapel as a remembrance to his success, later a church and then a village around it, now known as the Old Town. But the first historically documented report of the town is an account of a feudal estate and a watch tower with a church - the seat of a bailiff.
Červená Lhota: One of the most romantically situated monuments in the Czech Republic is the lake chateau Červená Lhota. It stands on a rock that has become a small island because of embanking the valley and raising the water level. The original yeomanly fort was bought by Jan Kába of Rybňany in 1530 and soon after rebuilt as a Renaissance chateau.
Jindřichův Hradec: The first written document mentioning this city dates back to the year 1220. Before that there probably was a Slavic settlement and deep uninhabited woodlands. Only after the arrival of Vítkovci at the end of the 12th century more people came to the region. In the early 13th century a gothic castle was built on the place of a former Slavic settlement.
Kámen: The original Gothic castle was built in the half of the 13th century on a large rock that also gave it its name. The first written references date back to years 1316 and 1318. In the years 1327 to 1504 the castle Kámen was a royal tenure. From the year 1523 for almost 200 years the castle was owned by one of the branches of an important Czech family of Malovci.
Pelhřimov: This scenic town is hidden in the valley of Bělá river. The original town was destroyed during disputes between the Vítkovci family and the Bishop Tobias of Bechyně. Pelhřimov was part of the Bishop's estates and hence it became a target of the revenge of Vítek of Hluboká. Later the Bishop got the King's permission to establish the town again and fortify it with walls.
Nový Rychnov: Even as late as the 11th century there was only deep and impenetrable woodland in this region. It served as a natural defense of the Czech lands. It didn't change until the Przemyslid dynasty was at its highest at the turn of 12th and 13th centuries, when the Czech Prince Vladislav donated the region to the archiepiscopate of Prague.
Křemešník: A pilgrimage church of the Holy Trinity was built on the top of this hill in the first half of the 18th century. The significant late baroque church was created by expanding the original Gothic chapel dating back to 1555. A Calvary path abouth 1 km long leads to the church. Near the church there is an unfinished romantic Windy Manor from 1930.